Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What is important is the journey, not so much the destination

In this postmodern age of cultural transformation, design is at the crossroad. While questions of beauty and decoration may not be as important as the great questions of politics and economics, it has a noticeable impact on everyday life that I find fascinating. The purity of the past in which different traditions evolved in isolation is no longer viable. I have come to see that the future of design is eclectic, drawing inspiration from various spaces and cultures. As an immigrant, I have seen first hand how cultural differences can energize a person’s spirit. I believe art is one of the most profound aspects of a culture, and design is a form of art that impacts most people on a daily basis.

From an early age, I was aware of design. My mother is the type of person who always experiments with new looks and new styles. For a long time, my mom would take me to the interior furniture store to remodel our house with the latest style in Taiwan. I have always enjoyed reading new European styles in the magazine there. When I moved to the States, the television show, Extreme Home Makers, caught my attention. I realized that environmental design was a way to combine my passion for art with my interest in this expanding field. Since then I have acquired a steadily broader sense of how interior design differs from country to country and even from neighborhood to neighborhood. Houses are not trivial. Even if we often take them for granted, they are our main site for living and one of the most powerful means of expressing imagination and individuality.

I believe aesthetically pleasing art and design should be for everybody. During the summer, I enjoy visiting the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood. I have discovered many fabulous effects the designers have put into their works, ranging from the type of flooring and wall colors to the type of fabrics and furnishings. One of the most amazing design that caught my attention was Kim3 International Furnishing. The designer blends its own antique and eclectic styles into the furniture. I was fascinated that even antique furniture can bring luxury to home. The style has more of an Eastern influence, which is more similar to my cultural background. Kim3 International Furnishing also has a peaceful and serene style which makes me feel comfortable. On my free time, I also enjoy working on basic drawing, illustration, and designing mini project such as making 3 dimensional interior models.

I am passionate about exploring new ways to combine art and style of my native country Taiwan with the robust and diverse artistic traditions of the United States, my adopted homeland. By expanding my career goal into further direction, I am eager for opportunities in design/ media arts so that I can develop my interests in interior design in the upcoming years.

1 comment:

  1. This seems like a good statement about what got you first interested, but it gets a little disjointed at the end. I think you should definitely include the first part in an artist's statement, and the last is fine for a free write, but I would tune it up a little for an actual statement. Also, there were a couple small grammatical and typographical errors, so check for those. It's a good basis, though!

    ReplyDelete